slagg

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

[ 1 post ] 

New character tooltip code.

Post subject: New character tooltip code.
PostPosted: July 6th, 2011, 4:45 pm 
Math Robot

I rewrote a large chunk of wowhead-tooltips to query the new battle.net external interface as a method of future proofing the code since I'll need to do it sooner or later anyway.

Known issues:
  • Only one profession is displayed. (Blizzard bug, my code is doing the right thing.) (Fixed as of 2011/07/07)
  • Titles are not displayed. (Blizzard bug, my code is doing the right thing.) (Fixed as of 2011/07/22)
  • No longer displays detailed breakdowns for stats (base stats and armor). (API does not provide the information needed.)
  • No longer displays life time HKs. (API does not provide the information needed.) (Fixed as of 2011/08/13)
  • No longer displays detailed achievement information. (Lazy Yawning. I could figure that information out, but pulling down ~140 KiB of data each time I do so is fucking terrible.)
  • The cache implementation uses a hard coded TTL instead of If-Modified-Since. (Original tooltip code apparently neglected to consider the fact that If-Modified-Since has been around for a long time. Though to be fair wowhead doesn't honor it when it would save a lot of bandwidth. Neither does most of battle.net.) (Fixed as of 2011/08/02)
  • The Recruit/Gear List code is totally broken since I didn't bother to update it. If someone gives me sufficient incentive I may do so, but for as of right now theincbear.com doesn't use it so my give-a-fuck-o-meter is empty. (Note: Sufficient incentive is something along the lines of "paying my consultant rates". I do take paypal, but since I hate PHP and web development, this will cost you.)

Benefits:
  • Things won't fall apart in a few months.
  • Cool pictures(TM). (I may end up disabling this if it doesn't play nice with caching)
  • We're using authenticated requests/responses so the tooltips should not break if we have a billion users due to the Armory deciding to hate us.
  • Vastly improved cache behavior that uses If-Modified-Since.

Example:
[armory loc="US,Doomhammer"]Reesi[/armory]

If it breaks badly, let me know and I'll fix it.

PS: I hate PHP. Code available under the "DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE". (http://theincbear.com/yawning/)
PPS: Number of battle.net importers I've written over the last week: 2

Mew: http://code.google.com/p/mew-wow-druid-model/ (RIP)

[ 1 post ]