It is currently October 21st, 2014, 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

[ 7 posts ] 

Heroic Feng the Accursed Tanking Guide

Post subject: Heroic Feng the Accursed Tanking Guide
PostPosted: September 14th, 2012, 9:39 am 
Grizzly

Feng The Accursed Tanking Guide

Disclaimer: This guide is not aimed at mechanics or strategy of the overall fight, only ones that pertain to tanks/guardians specifically. If you are looking for a kill strategy then I suggest looking elsewhere. Further, I am looking at this from a 25 man HEROIC perspective, so if you are part of a 10 man raid, then keep that in mind (but it shouldn't change much)

Normal to Heroic Tank Mechanic Changes:

- Strength of Sprit: Every time Feng absorbs a Mogu champion Spirit, his damage deal increases by 5% for the remainder of the encounter. Nothing special here, just ramping up tank (and raid) damage.

- Sprit of the Shield: A 4th phase for the fight, based in shadow damage.

Preparation:

- 2 tank taunt swap fight.

Gearing:

Reforges - Balanced between mastery and crit. I'm going with mastery>crit>dodge>hit=exp>haste.

Gems - Mastery gems.

Consumables - Armor/Mastery Elixirs. Armor Potions.

Glyphs: SI/Stampeding Roar

Talents:

Tier 1: FS

Tier 2: Renewal. CW over heals a lot on this fight, and I like the extra burst healing for Renewal. If you prefer NS then take that, but personally I don't like that it's on the GCD.

Tier 3: NA

Tier 4: Incarnation. An extra CD. No brainer here.

Tier 5: NA

Tier 6: HotW. You can take advantage of this during tanking downtime.

Symbiosis:

Monk for Elusive Brew.

Main Tank Mechanics:

- Lightning Lash/Flaming Spear/Arcane Shock/Shadowburn: stacking DoT on the tank, swap after 2 or 3 stacks depending on gear level and healer comfort.

- Stolen Essences of Stone (gain these abilities by clicking the floating stones that spawn, the left stone as you face the boss is Shroud, the right one is Barrier.

a. Nullification Barrier: This is basically AMZ on steroids. It provides damage reduction versus magical damage and can prevent certain mechanics. It's primary use will be to reduce raid damage taken from Epicenter (by dropping it on the raid), Draw Flame (drop on the boss to prevent him gaining Draw Flame stacks), and Arcane Velocity (drop on the raid).

b. Shroud of Reversal: This ability is only used for extra dps in three out of four phases. For shadow, arcane, and fire phases, simply channel this on your cotank, and cast the DoT back at Feng for lots of damage. During the nature phase however, you can coordinate with somebody in your raid to steal Lightning Fist, which can then be used to interrupt an Epicenter cast, essentially allowing you to negate every Epicenter with either Reversal or Barrier.

AM Strategy:

Since this is a tank swap fight, you can maintain very high SD uptime while tanking by simply regenerating SD charges and pooling 100 rage while no tanking. Simply maintain SD as much as possible and use FR to counteract any spikes you encounter. Remember, always taunt with a full rage bar and as many SD charges as possible.

CD Usage:

Try to get as high CD uptime as possible. Incarnation will cover one entire tank swap. So will a BS chained with MoU. However if you find yourself running low on CDs, then save them for once you pick up a stack or two of his DoT as you will be taking much more damage. As usual, don't forget about Healthstones or healer externals.

Tips For the Top 5%:

- Use HotW in the first phase and last phase so you get two usages (if fight isn't long enough for two usages just saved for the last phase). Unless you have low raid dps, then I would simply go into heal mode and tranq/HT spam your co-tank (remember to weapon swap too). If your raid needs the dps then just Wrath spam. But don't forget your normal duties!

- In the Shadow (shield) phase, help the raid AoE the adds down, guardian aoe dos with any amount of vengeance is very powerful.

purple bear goes RAWR.

Post subject: Re: Heroic Feng the Accursed Tanking Guide
PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 4:22 pm 
Polar

Notes from our kill:

Nullification Barrier
- Arcane phase, very tight on the cooldown. If you press it 2sec late the first time you might be totally screwed for the 2nd/3rd time.
- Epicenter, you need to let at least one tick go through from the start of it, cause the shield doesn't last long enough for the last tick.
- Other 2 phases it didn't feel that close/bad if you missed a second on the shield/draw flame. Adds would despawn in the shadow phase and nobody would die from flames.

You can actually again cheese dps a bit with going up to 4 stacks for sick vengeance to beat the enrage. If your co-tank uses Shroud of Reversal properly his vengeance isn't that important.

I used Nature's vigil instead as there was almost no downtime on tanking for me.

Personally I find Renewal wasted as FR did 215k+ average healing. Better to have NS for a combatrez in bear for example.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2012, 1:51 am 
Grizzly

Is lightning fist in heroic mode broken? Or is it supposed to be all over the damn place? On normal, it usually targets the tank, unless he's coming directly out of an epicenter, in which case I've seen him turn back to the middle of the raid (where the tank was) and aim it there. On all of our heroic attempts, however, he's aimed it at everyone BUT the tank. Is this how it's supposed to be? If so, how am I supposed to predict where it's going to go in order to channel shroud on that person to get the interrupt? QQ

[armory loc="US,Shadowmoon"]Mowse[/armory] GM <Deal With It>

PostPosted: October 21st, 2012, 11:38 am 
Grizzly

We had a mage designated to capture the Lightning Fist. Raid stacks in melee, mage stays out at range and the mage either runs or blinks into the Lightning Fist.

purple bear goes RAWR.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2012, 8:46 pm 
Grizzly

Does that mean it is guaranteed that he will cast lightning fist outside of melee then?

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2012, 5:51 am 
Polar

No & Yes.

We had a few wipes on farm due to barrier being on cd, feng deciding not to cast any fists and us being unable to stun/barrier the first epicenter. We adapted and just ran out with cds later on in case that happened.

He seems to favor casting fists on a target outside melee range yes.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2012, 8:10 am 
Grizzly

Ok, thanks. Will give it a shot tomorrow night.

[ 7 posts ]